FIRST Robotics Canada is proud to present the 2024 Skilled Trades Scholarship. The FIRST Robotics Canada Scholarship Committee is accepting applications from FIRST Robotics Canada students who are planning to pursue post-secondary education or apprenticeship in a Skilled Trade.
The ideal candidate will be one that has demonstrated strong leadership, is interested in science, technology and trades and wants to motivate positive change in the community and has been a part of a FIRST Robotic program either through FIRST Robotics Competition or FIRST Tech Competition in 2022-23 and 2023-24.
Scholarships in the amount of $2500 each will be awarded to 2 students each year at the FIRST Robotics Provincial Championship in April. The deadline to apply is February 28th, 2024 at 11:59 PM (EST)!
- To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must:
- Complete and submit the application form by February 28th, 2024.
- Be a student currently enrolled, or have been enrolled, in an Ontario high school.
- Participate on a FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) team in Ontario;
- Be eligible to enroll, and agree to enroll, as a full-time student in a skilled trades program at an accredited college and/or confirmation of a apprenticeship starting no later than the fall semester of 2024; and
- Use the scholarship to pursue a skilled trade college program or confirmation of a apprenticeship
- Be a student who is a dedicated role model in STEM (science, technology & trades, engineering and math)
To apply for the Scholarship, you must provide each of the following documents to the FIRST Scholarship Committee no later than February 28th, 2024 date 11:59 p.m. EST:
- Your completed application form (indicate on the form which event you/your team are attending)
- A letter of recommendation from a high school instructor from whom you have taken one or more classes
- A brief essay (no more than 500 words) in which you outline:
- your participation in the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC),
- the impact of the FIRST program on your life, and
- tell us why are you interested in the skilled trades
- Your official high school transcript. If you are a home-schooled student, please contact the FIRST Scholarship Committee for instructions on what materials you should provide in lieu of a letter of recommendation and transcript.
FIRST Robotics Canada will announce the recipient of the Scholarship at the FIRST Robotics Provincial Championship in April each year.
Please note, to receive your initial disbursement of Scholarship funds, you must send FIRST Canada, no later than the end of the second week of classes, a letter requesting the funds.